“The saying, If a mussel doesn’t open it is not ok to eat” is a MYTH.
- De-beard your mussels and place them into a large pot
- Add nothing extra, cover the lid and place the pot on high heat for approximately 1-2 minutes
- As the mussels heat up, their shell will open and discharge salty liquid
- Discard this fluid then return the mussels to the pot, cover and heat for a further 30 seconds
- Repeat step four
- After the second discard of fluid, only then can you add your tastings
- Chilli tomato, green curry, white wine and garlic all go great with mussels