Batter always tastes better if it is prepared a day early and stored in the fridge overnight.
Always dust and fry your seafood in self raising flour – plain flour has a tendency to go soggy.
- 1 cup of self raising flour – plus extra for dusting
- 300ml of water
- Splash of beer
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Spoonful of corn or semolina flour
- Combine the flour, water, optional corn or semolina flour, beer, and salt and pepper and mix until it achieves a medium custard consistency
- Store in the fridge overnight for the best results
- Lightly dust your seafood in self raising flour then dip it into the batter
- Pull the battered seafood through your thumb and forefinger to remove any excess batter
- Place the seafood in a pan with hot oil and cook until it reaches a light golden colour on each side